Monday, April 20, 2015

Issue 5.5 Production Post One

Started work on what I'm calling Issue 5.5, the 5-page mini-comic that will be available in some capacity later this year. As I said last time, I'm producing 5.5 before I start Issue 5, as it will be a testbed of sorts for some techniques I'll try for the last issue of the season.

After spending a few days setting up the first finished scene, I did a few hours of renders and have four panels already knocked out, about 80% of Page 4. This scene has a fun tip of the hat to an '80s movie that I've wanted to do for years and I finally found the right time and place.

I'm excited by the possibility of exploring other short-form comics like this, especially after spending upwards of six months on 22+ page comics over the last three years and all the work that entails. While there is an intrinsic reward in the hard work and quality of the long-form comic, it is difficult for me not to get bogged down with the sheer amount of labor that is involved. By no means am I ready to quit the Agent Maya series as I've laid it out; I've invested too much sweat into it to stop now. However the temptation to branch out into other non-Maya areas of interest is growing, particularly if I can produce a 5-page comic in just a matter of a month to six weeks. I'll try to quell the temptation until I at least get through Season One….

No comments: